Saturday, June 8, 2013

10 days to go - "How to Write a Book in 40 days or Less" by Brandy Miller

Confession time:  I was on a roll for a month on the "How to Write a Book in 40 days or Less" by Brandy Miller goal that I set for myself.  I wrote everything except the road trip section of the book.  

Life stepped in and I had to step back from my draft for a couple weeks.

Starting today, I'm doing 10 more days to finish my draft!  

My plan is to write 1500 words a day and diary my 10 days' writing experience here.

Day 10:

I'll need to revise a section I wrote a couple weeks ago because my brain took a plot twist.  I have a pet peeve about couples "coming together" at the halfway point of the book.  Part A of the book has a lot of tension and suspense, then the couple comes together and for me, Part B of the book is a downhill read.

So, I have developed a plot twist that has a hot scene right smack dab in the middle.  I hope the twist will live up to Part A's expectations and enliven Part B for the reader.  

Some of my readers may get angry with me if they believed Part A was leading up to a traditional hot scene plot (Girl and Guy are "meant" to be as it was before the twist), but I like the new storyline a lot better now.  I was struggling with how to write the story of a complicated woman who lives her own life her way and carries the burden of the secrets and lies of her life, including a love hidden deep and dark inside her.  

My mom was like that - she was in love with my dad even after they divorced.  Personally, I am not complicated enough to be secret or hidden about love (and I don't have to be since I'm married and a one-heart-one-guy kind of woman!)

So, the struggle for me is how to make "one-heart-one-guy" women like me accept a plot twist that won't make them throw the book at the (or turn off the Kindle!)

The rest of Day 10's new writing will be starting the journey back through Monty's life starting in Revere Beach and heading out Newton, the Cape and all heck breaks loose on the Vineyard.  Her journey forward goes from the Vineyard out to Hamilton and then the rest of the book through the climax takes place on Revere Beach.  

We drove up to Hamilton again last weekend.  I snapped some photos and have a clear idea of what I'm writing for that section.  Travel to-dos are another trip down to the Cape and out to the Vineyard this summer.  Oh, the hardships, we romance/suspense writers must endure...!

Happy Day 10!
Shawna 

No comments:

Post a Comment