Saturday, March 30, 2013

Happy Easter! Holiday Scenes in Books - fun & easy!

Happy Easter!

My books almost always feature holidays.  In my first romance novel, A Guy's Best Friend, it all kicks off at a New Year's Eve party and by the 4th of July, my main character knows things are not where they should be.  My readers do get their Happy Ending by the following New Year's Eve!

In my second book, A Guy's Worst Nightmare, the main holidays featured are the 4th of July and Halloween.  I even wrote a scene about the famous playboy bunny Halloween party!

So far, in book 3, I'm once again looking at the 4th of July and I just realized since this book, A Guy's Dream Come True, is about starting over and renewal, I'd be a fool not to write about Easter on Revere beach!

We Hansens have an Easter tradition:  we walk Revere Beach!  The sand is cold and there's usually a little coldness in the wind (except for the year it was almost 80 degrees on Easter Sunday and then we had a snowstorm with 2 feet of snow on Easter Monday!)  Warm winds greeted our bare arms and legs that Easter Sunday!

That combination of ultra-hot and ultra-cold sounds completely unbelievable.  If I wrote that scene, my readers would never believe it!

Yes, life is stranger than fiction.  Holidays are always stranger than an average day.  For readers, a holiday scene signals something important is about to happen.

What an easy way for writers to draw readers down the path and deeper into the story.  Let me know some of your favorite books with holiday scenes or about holiday scenes you are currently writing in your own books.


No comments:

Post a Comment