Sunday, March 10, 2013

Be Happy Writing


Hello blog readers,  I'm catching up on my correspondence today and wanted to write you a quick note.

I am so happy that you are writing!  Whenever you tell me about your book ideas, I always think of other books that have similar themes and want to recommend them to you, but I also think that your voice is unique.  My followup thought is always to tell you to keep doing whatever it is you’re doing – dreamweaving and coming up with a story.  You are on to something. 

Taking writing classes is a great way to connect with writers/teachers, but you may find it tedious.  There are a lot of writing groups in every cafe and library across the world, and (whisper) they may get tedious, too.

What I’ve learned over the years as a writer is that I like a little of this and a little of that.  I can only take the classes and the other writers in small doses. Other people's views on writing are helpful, don't get me wrong, but in the end you're alone with your thoughts.  

 I have a few close friends that I share my writing with. It's a big deal to me.  Opening up my art/story/dreams to my friends is one of the best social interactions of all time.  I highly prefer it to social media!

One thing I have overcome is my fear of failure as a writer.  I will never make a living writing.  I will never win any big awards (ok, I have won a couple early on and that was an honor).  My books are imperfect and need a good editor, but I’m happy!  Isn't that funny?  I publish my imperfect books on amazon, bn.com and Smashwords and for the first time as a writer, I’m happy!  

I don’t even care about bad reviews.  Who cares?  It’s the writing and the sharing that are what I want as a writer. 

I love/crave getting emails from my friends that they love my writing and want to read more. I’ve written three books now and am working on #4.  Some of my friends loved them.  (Another thing you learn quickly as a writer is that only your fans/friends love your books.  Stay with your fans/friends.  Write for yourself and for them!)  Some are happy that I'm happy, which also makes me happy!

So long message short - Be Happy Writing!  Not many people care about your writing, but there will be readers who do.  Have fun, be yourself and write your heart out.  You have nothing to lose if you are happy writing!

Don't wallpaper your bathroom with rejection letters.  Don't print out bad reviews.  Don't be unhappy writing!  There are plenty of unhappy writers out there; miserable no matter how many awards they get.  

Remember the secret to a balanced life:  the more you take for yourself, the less you have in the end; the more you give of yourself; the more you get back in the end.

Be happy writing!  

P.S. and don't forget to eat your greens.  :) 





No comments:

Post a Comment